Thursday, February 5, 2009

Housework and Mid-Terms

Has anyone besides me noticed the inexplicable link between looming academic deadlines and the urge to undertake massive housekeeping projects? I noticed this strange phenomenon more than 20 years ago as an undergrad. It's very hard to explain, actually, given my usual aversion to the vacuum cleaner, duster (which makes me sneeze) and scrubbing granules. Cooking, I love! Sewing, knitting, you'd think I'm a domestic goddess.... Cleaning, however, is NOT my favorite pastime. Strange, though, how a looming important exam or term project bubbles interesting bookshelf dusting and reorganizing projects to the surface of a cram packed schedule. Even MORE curious is that the urges have absolutely no correlation to my interest level in the subject matter. I LOVE my classes. My term projects are actually quite fun! So why did I spend one entire afternoon dusting books and spreading lemony fresh Pledge on all Living Room surfaces?

Beats me?!?!


Aunt Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment

**********************************************