Friday, April 11, 2008

Orchids (?) and Roast Chicken - But Not Together!

Good Morning/Afternoon. Photo left is for you, Mom. I'm not certain what type of tree this is, but it looks so much like an orchid, I thought of you. Please forgive the backlighting and darkness. Truth is, I took this photo with my Treo and I'm completely unable to see images in the viewfinder by sunlight. I should post the other three attempts for a good laugh... taking photos blind is not a good hobby unless you enjoy really bad photographs, that is.





There's not much to report on the career front, but I'm still plugging away.


Food.


You might have noticed this guy hanging out earlier this week. Roast chicken is always good and I usually only cook whole chickens because leftovers are so wonderful in so many dishes.


I particularly love this little roasting stand because the fats and juices collect in the bottom of the pan and the resulting skin is nice and crispy.




Each time I roast chicken I use different spices, depending on what's on hand.


Here you see this week's lineup.


First I take probably 2-3 Tablespoons of butter or margarine, softened at room temperature.

I Add a tiny, tiny pinch of Rosemary (goes a long way)
2 teaspoons of garlic paste
2 teaspoons of ginger paste
1 heaping teaspoon of dried mint
1 heaping teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon lemon pepper
1 teaspoon white pepper

Combine all seasonings with the softened margarine (this is where it gets messy)
and separate the skin from the meat and insert the herb/butter mixture in small amounts everywhere accessible. I usually concentrate the most seasonings in the breast area, both sides of the back and inside the cavity. For a 3 pound chicken, bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees for another 45 minutes . Chicken is ready when skin is a nice crisp brown and juices run clear. When unsure, I always slice a thicker portion to inspect. Allow the bird time to rest upon leaving the oven (the husband makes jokes that it must be very tiring getting baked =/ ) ohwellanyway.

For more information about cooking times and safe handling instructions, visit USDA.gov

That's all I have time for today, but tomorrow or Sunday, perhaps, I'll tell you how to make an excellent, healthy and easy dish with couscous, vegetables and some of that leftover chicken. A dish that's on the table in probably 20 minutes! I love that!

Happy Friday Everyone!

Aunt Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment

**********************************************