Friday, May 22, 2009

Aunt Melissa's Cajun Shrimp Polenta



I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant where I first tasted the dish that inspired today's original creation....a dish that has evoked fond memories for years .... The restaurant was a lovely surprise that I stumbled upon somewhere in South Carolina.

At the time I was working as a Systems Analyst and found myself trekking cross- country on a huge equipment replacement project that included 6-8 cities over a 10 day period beginning in California, followed by Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Illinois and back home again. Obviously, there wasn't a lot of time for sight-seeing, but I will always remember the great food I encountered in South Carolina. I can't even remember what city I was in, but driving down an unfamiliar street, I noticed this small blue wooden house with a restaurant sign out front. Inside, I found an incredible menu I can only characterize as a fusion of old-fashioned southern and eclectic gourmet. The main dish, in particular, I remember as being out of this world. Unfortunately, time has erased the fabulous details, but I recall crawfish tails in a concoction that was too heavenly to be named cheese grits. There was much more to it. Somehow I remember fresh herbs and an incredible sauce, as well.... but time, unfortunately hasn't been kind to details. I would never say that the following concoction even approaches the sublime nature of that long-forgotten entree, but I will say that I'm moderately pleased with the results of this first attempt. It probably goes without saying that I don't have ready access to fresh crawfish tails in LA, but here's my humble attempt at a similar dish:

Aunt Melissa's Cajun Shrimp Polenta

1 can (1-3/4 c) Chicken Broth
2-3/4 c. water
2 cups yellow corn meal
2 cups frozen pre-cooked shrimp
1 med. onion
1 med. green pepper
2 cups packaged broccoli slaw mix (rinsed and drained)
1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar& mozzarella cheese blend
Olive Oil
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 heaping Tablespoon Tex-Joy Old-Style Cajun Seasoning


In a favorite skillet (mine's cast iron) heat a nice drizzle of olive oil. Chop the onion and add to pan. Wash and chunk green pepper into 1/2 to 3/4 inch chunks and add to onions. Mince garlic and add to pan, topping with the 2 cups of broccoli slaw. Saute all vegetables together, stirring occasionally until translucent but still slightly crisp. Measure broth (approx 1-3/4 cups), combining with enough water to measure 4-1/2 cups. Bring liquid to boil in a large saucepan. Once boiling, add cornmeal, pouring in a steady stream and stirring constantly. Lower heat and cook on low until polenta begins to pull from the sides of the pan. Stir in the cheese until melted and add the saute'd vegetables. Finally, add the precooked shrimp and fold in to distribute throughout. Add a small amount of olive oil to the bottom of an 8x8 baking dish and spread mixture evenly. Sprinkle top with two Tablespoons shredded cheese and bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes until peaks gently brown and serve. (This dish is the perfect size for my Toaster Oven, so I didn't have to heat the kitchen or waste energy unnecessarily in the large oven.)

Enjoy and have a wonderful long weekend!

Aunt Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment

**********************************************