Friday, March 28, 2008

Cute Purse and Interview Report

FIRST, THE PURSE:

Is this the cutest purse ever, or what?!?!?

At the risk of sounding immodest, I must say that I really like the way this one turned out, don't you? =) I hope my sweet sister thinks so, too, because this will be a VERY belated birthday gift .

Wanna see it again?


Okay, ========================>>>




The pattern was one of those free "create it" ideas and inspiration leaflets in the yarn section of Michaels arts and crafts store. I used Lion's Brand Chenille Thick and Quick. I now like the yarn again. After taking an entire year to knit a throw from this yarn, I was fairly hesitant to use it again, but I found Crocheting to be much easier. The yarn's lack of elasticity wasn't an issue with crochet, but made knitting a little unpleasant. It didn't help, of course, that I was an inexperienced knitter using circular knitting needles both a size too small and with a chord too short... Ahhh... Thats how we learn, isn't it, from our mistake? =) I also learned that using fuzzy black chenille REALLY makes finding and picking up dropped stitches difficult, especially in the dark. (And isn't that when we like to knit? watching tv?) Happy days now, though, because I really like this little purse. It probably only took about 4 hours to make, including the fake fur trim.

THE INTERVIEW

For those of you who are curious about this morning's interview , it went very, very well. I met some really nice people that I would like to work with and also learned that I'm the only candidate under consideration, so there's a good chance I might receive an offer soon. In the meantime, I'm just wrapping up odds and ends like taxes, studying for a Life Agent license exam and designing the new closet layout.


THE CLOSET

Dare I share the closet story and (gasp), the photo?

Really?
Gulp.

Okay, here goes. About 4 weeks ago I thought this might be an excellent time to get a broken closet door repaired and called in a professional. Upon arriving, the workman recommended replacing the doors as the best option. No problem, never mind that I have more time than money right now, it 's something that has to be done and poor Steve had been unable to use his 1/3 of the closet (did you catch that I didn't say 1/2?) for many, many months now. (See, bad enough he doesn't get equal closet space, he couldn't even use the space he had! =(

So "Great!", I said. Let's do this right. By the way, the doors aren't "standard" we need a "custom" order. No problem, I expect no less, let's get started. Weeks go by. The doors arrive. We schedule installation. Friendly workers appear. I show them in, introduce them to Steve, they get started. I leave to run errands. I return home and they are packing up to leave. I come upstairs and I see this...


That's right, they've ordered "custom" doors the wrong size. No problem, I take a deep breathe and say, well now, won't this be just the perfect opportunity to install new hardware and organize our sad, sad, sad little closet. It will be so much easier without the doors in the way. I've been wanting to install new hardware for a long time. Let's just do it!

Saturday we spent hours at Home Depot inspecting all the nifty hardware and deciding what we liked and didn't like. We had measured the closet height, width and depth, but needing the door widths, I called the glass place form the store and asked the width of the new doors ordered. I was told 48-5/8". Great, thanks! We brought home a handful of shiny brochures and I began planning how to fit my 30 pair of shoes next to Steve's uhh...5, and so on. Nothing was working out. Long story boring, Steve got involved to approve my plans and quickly realized that guess, what? They again have ORDERED THE WRONG SIZE DOOR! It took a few calls and patient polite negotiating, but they are cutting those doors down and perhaps by next week I can post the "After" picture to help you forget the hideousness shared above. (I know you're thinking, "Does she have no shame!?! Showing her closet to the world?!?")

Mom, the photos of your shrug will be posted soon. Shirley, I hope the photos didn't ruin your surprise. Tiffany, it was great talking to you today.

Happy weekend everyone!


Aunt Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment

**********************************************